Monday 2 May 2011

Life in Denmark

Joan Pau Soto is studying for the CAE exam. He spent 6 months in a Danish university. He tells us about his experience in Denmark.   

- Denmark
is a Northern European country located between the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. The weather is cold and windy and the majority of their cities would be just towns in Spain due to their size, however it is a great place to be a student, go to university and enjoy the multiculturalism that this small country has to offer. One of the reasons why I chose it as the destination for those six months in my life was that apparently almost all of its inhabitants spoke English, so they could understand me and I could be understood.


Danish students move out from their homes to live in residences when it’s their time to attend university, so going to my new home was the first thing I did after landing and getting to the city.
As it was Saturday lunch time I thought that I was very likely to meet my future dorm mates in the common room, and I met a few. All of them were Danes; which I reckon to be good for me in order to get a better insight into the Danish Culture.

One of the reasons that justifies the importance of the English language in the Danish society, is that their Universities are among the best in the world. They have a very wide range of studies in English, and at the same time they are usually free, which means that students from many other countries go to take their studies there, due to the enormous value for money they get.

Moreover, films, TV programmes and series are mostly British or American, so I can say that Denmark was a good place to improve my English level among many other things, and I recommend the experience to whoever is willing to experience living abroad within a society different from our own but still an “English speaking” country.   

No comments:

Post a Comment